Saturday, February 1, 2014

TONY: The First 3 Days of the Month

"Scheduling.  This is M.  Employee Number?"

"XX93 Tango, M."

"Hello Anthony.  What can I do for you?"

"Well, M, I'm a new, 30-year Reserve and am depending on others to help me learn how to do this right.  I was told that I should sign in to CCS the night before my duty period between 8 & 9pm to acknowledge my assignment for the next day.  It's after 9 now and I've been signing in every 15-20 minutes since 8pm with no message.  Since I'm on Call Out Line G, should I just assume that I'm responsible to take calls starting at 1100 tomorrow?"

"Oh, no, Anthony.  During the first 3 days of the month, there are no call out periods; everyone is a Ready Reserve.  You don't have anything to acknowledge because I don't have anything to assign you."

(GULP!  I just enjoyed a glass of my favorite Merlot with dinner.  "Ready Reserve" means I'm on duty starting at midnight.  FARs require no alcohol consumption 8 hours before a trip.  That's cutting it close!)

"Oh.  OK.  Well, I just looked at the Reserve Availability display and I'm pretty far down..."

"You're also only good for 1 day before starting days off.  Looks we'll be starting move-up construction soon..."

"Oh, well you can take me off of the move-up list (def:  Move-up lines are constructed when there is a sufficient amount of open flying available in the base and assigned to Reserve Flight Attendants in seniority order.)  A move-up would defeat the purpose of my Reserve experiment."

"So, Anthony, you are declining a move-up line?  I'll just note that in your record."  (During our conversation, M asked me this same question at least 3 times!)

"Yes, M.  Please pass me on the list."

"OK, then.  It's noted in your record."  (I'm thinking this "record" sounds like the "permanent record" you always heard about but never saw when you were in school.)

"OK, M.  Thank you for your time.  You'll probably be hearing from me again.  I'm pretty hapless."

The tone of our entire conversation was light and airy.  I had the distinct impression that M was happy to have a "tone break" from the types of calls she normally gets.  I admit, it was not the sort of communication that I've heard others complain about whenever they have to speak to a Scheduler, so it wasn't what I was expecting.

I guess that's the whole idea behind an experiment:  find your own truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment