Wednesday, February 19, 2014

TONY: Complications of Reserve

During my Dad's 3 year decline (he passed on Labor Day, 2012), I was frequently with he and my Mom in ATL.  Doctor visits, exotic treatments, help around the house, help administering care and just the ability to be with two of the most important people in my life during the time that they NEEDED me most, were the very tangible benefits of my job as a lineholding Flight Attendant.  Holding, trading, dropping, and picking up just the right trips allowed me the freedom to be where I needed to be, when I needed to be there.

Now, my Mom has a potentially life-threatening condition (blood clots in her lung and leg) which required hospitalization last week and convalescence at home for up to the next 6 months, the first 1 to 2 months of which will be critical.  My situation and the ability to be of tangible help is VERY much impaired by my Reserve status.  For example, in order to relieve my brother who's been providing 24/7 care since Mom's hospitalization, I am bridging my 2 periods of DAYS OFF with 3 duty days for which my supervisor is allowing emergency drops, without pay.  I did make furtive attempts to manipulate my scheduled days off by trading with the "pool" but was unsuccessful.  Even if I had been successful, the result would have been a "drop in the bucket" compared to the level of need for my time.

As a lineholder, my ability to successfully address this personal scheduling situation would be very much different, as it will be when I return to LH status in March.  Moreover, the financial impact to do "the right thing" is potentially enormous!  In order to bridge my days off to allow 6 consecutive days for me to care for Mom, I'm losing 12 hours from my 83 hour guarantee.  (Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I am very much prepared for this eventuality financially.  I undertook this "reserve experiment" with the foreknowledge that anything can happen, literally.  I planned for it and am prepared.  Imagine the potentially disastrous impact on someone who is not prepared and doesn't have the prospect of a "regular schedule" to fall back on in the coming months.)

As our family members age, it's inescapable that we find ourselves questioning their ability to press on under their own steam.  Even if physical health is good, it's difficult to determine the level at which their faculties are functioning:  100%?  It's much more likely some percentage LESS than that!  The more time we spend together, the better able we are to assess.  While the need to be vigilant is there, so is the need to allow aging family to live their own lives independently, if possible.  Love isn't just being there when needed, it's having the sense and courtesy to NOT be there if unwarranted.

So, here we are!  I'm on Day 19 of my February Reserve Experiment and have just finished the second of my two multi-day, large exposure duty blocks.  Other than CQ, I have had NO assignments, thusfar.  I have three 3-day duty periods remaining, the first of which has been dropped EDNP (Emergency Drop, No Pay).  I suppose that it's possible I will be used in the remaining two blocks, especially as CS begins to "level" toward month's end.  Of course, now my March bid takes on new importance as I plan my return to ATL.

The trip to ATL this morning provided a reminder of just how unsettling it can be to travel under these circumstances.  From my Facebook timeline:

"The beauty of choice...

An oversold 50-seat regional jet which 24 hours ago had 30 open seats (explaining the 23 stand-bys)

OR

An empty Airbus where eager-to-please staff assign one an empty row in Economy Comfort?

Both depart and arrive within 5 minutes of each other.  Hmmmm. 

I'll select the option that represents the least stress and anxiety and be thankful to have the choice.

Upon landing in ATL, I learn that the oversold RJ  (with 23 stand-bys) which was scheduled to depart at 0715 will now leave at 1100. 


Glad I'm already here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment