Thursday, February 6, 2014

TONY: OOPS! DENTIST APPOINTMENT

I got up and got to the gym, as planned, this morning.  But it was one of those mornings where you awaken at the WRONG part of your sleep cycle.  It's like the alarm went off when I was in REM phase, leaving me to feel very unenergetic.  In spite of that shaky start, I made it to the gym and home again with plenty of time to get ready for "work".  After shaving and showering, I checked "Reserve Availability", only to learn that I was in the middle of the 2nd page of the FIFO list, just like I was went I went to bed last night.

So, I settled into my comfy recliner and clicked on some HGTV banality.  I must have dozed a little because I came out of the fog when my phone alarm sounded.  "Dr. Cope at 2pm"....aw, crap!  I scheduled my normal dental cleaning appointment 4-5 months ago, noted it in my calendar and forgot about it until now.  What to do?

I'm on duty but still far down the list.  I'm pretty sure that the dentist's office would charge me for a late cancellation.  What the heck!  I dashed around to prepare, forwarded the house phone to my mobile, just in case, and out the door I went.  I settled into the dental hygienist's chair and was generally aware that my phone was unmuted and within reach.  No muss, no fuss, no call from Crew Scheduling!

Hmmm.  I could get used to this.  After all, it's all just the way you look at it, right?  I always do my manual revisions on the airplane while working because I like the idea of being paid to do them.  Isn't this sort of the same thing?  Why should I schedule things like doctor appointments on my days off?

I think I just got paid $52.53 to go to the dentist!

No comments:

Post a Comment