Sunday, February 23, 2014

TONY: Reserve Lost Time Make-Up (5-45.19)

I posted the following message in a couple of Reserve-oriented Facebook groups knowing that if anyone had insight, THAT's where I'd find it:

"Wasn't ready for this...

I got back from my family emergency today, 2 days early (a GOOD thing), and have 2 scheduled days off (SU/MO). I call CS to attempt to convert at least 1 of those days to duty so that I can make up some of the time I lost for my Emergency Drops (3 duty days @4 hours each) and was told that there's no way to do that.

Asked for a supervisor and received the same answer, "per the contract". So, my guarantee stands at 71 hours (3 lost duty days) and I'll be in Houston and available but can't make up the lost time.

Shouldn't the contract be flexible enough to allow lost time "make-up", as long as the F/A stays within duty limits?"

Within minutes, I received the feedback I'd been looking for...on BOTH groups!  The Flight Attendant contract does, in fact, address this very situation:

"p. 5-45:
19. Subject to Company agreement, a reserve flight attendant who loses a duty day(s) due to illness, injury or emergency drop will be allowed to make up the lost day(s) on her/his remaining day(s) off that month. The day(s) on which the make-up occurs is subject to mutual agreement. When a lost day is made up in this manner four hours (4:00) will be returned to the flight attendant’s reserve guarantee."

So, I called CS again and asked to speak to a supervisor.  Luckily, the SAME supervisor who had perfunctorily dismissed my earlier request was still on duty.  When I referred her to the appropriate section of the contract, she excused her earlier mistake with, "Oh, I am sub-UA..."  But because time "make-up" requires mutual agreement and only had 2 days where I could "legally" make-up the time, she had to consult coverage numbers AND email the sCO contract expert on how to implement this policy.  She committed to have an answer before her shift ended at 2200.

And she did.  Shortly before 2200, she phoned to say that 79 Reserves are already on for Sunday and over 100 for Monday, so my request would be denied.

Oh well, it was worth a try.  This issue should be addressed in a future contract.  The Reserve could be financially devastated without means to make-up the lost time.

No comments:

Post a Comment