Sunday, February 16, 2014

TONY: EDNP

My Mom's health scare-related hospital stay has come to an end.  My brother took her home over the weekend and has been staying with her round-the-clock ever since.  She was diagnosed with 2 blood clots in her right lung and 1 in her right leg.  The fact that she survived long enough to be diagnosed and have treatment started means that she'll likely recover...but at a cost.  Mom will be taking daily blood-thinning injections in her abdomen and oral blood thinners for the next few weeks and will require frequent doctor visits and blood tests (to monitor the effects of the treatment.)  She's 75 years old, will need help at home (just north of ATL) and I have only the one sibling.  So....

My supervisor has offered to grant Emergency Drops/No Pay for the duty days that I need to take off to support my Mom and relieve my brother of sole responsibility.  To have my support be of any real significance, I need to be with her for a week or so, to start.  In looking at the remainder of my Reserve schedule for February, I've decided that my best course of action is to "bridge" 2 sets of days off by having my Supervisor EDNP a string of 3 duty days between my upcoming single day off and the following block of 2 off, giving me 6 off in a row.  Although I'm still waiting for Payroll to verify it, I'm guessing I'll lose 12 hours from my 83 hour Reserve guarantee to do so (4 hours for each of the 3 duty days missed).

This situation would be MUCH more manageable as a Lineholder as I could trip-trade and/or pick-up time later in the month to minimize the impact of the time off.  As it stands, I suppose I'll end the month with 71 hours rather than 83.

Oh well, the "unforeseen" is one reason I chose to do this experiement during Profit Sharing month!

No comments:

Post a Comment